Sunday, August 24, 2014

Blame it on the Boogie

The first week of the new school year came and went, and boy did it feel like three weeks went by! Anyway, to celebrate, some colleagues and I were just going to go do some dinner. Dinner happened, which was delicious. I sure love that I get to eat more greens out here in Asia than I ever did back home in the US.




Afterwards, we decided to do 노래방 (Norae bang) aka Singing Rooms aka KTV aka Karaoke. The culture in Asia versus the West is to sing with your friends in little private rooms as opposed to singing in front of an entire crowd of drunken strangers. A lot of people seem to prefer the former, I like doing both.




The way it works: you go and tell them how many people are in your party and they find a room suitable for the size. You have a timer counting down on the television set, once it hits 0:00 it automatically gives you another 30 minutes, which you'll pay later. In the room there are tambourines you can play with, you can ring a bell for service, and at the end of your songs you're scored on how well you sung (I hit 100 5 out of 6 times!) We stayed about two hours mostly because we wanted to maximize that time limit, but would accidentally start another 30 minute session. They have a pretty vast selection of Korean, English, and Japanese music. Some of the English music I've never seen in US bars before like Weezer's "Across the Sea" or Muse's " Time is Running Out"; then again there was also a few glaring omissions that were my go-to favorites like "New York, New York", "Minnie the Moocher", and "Walkin' on the Sun".

That two hours of singing took it out of us and we went down the street to a restaurant open until the wee small hours of the morning for some more food. This place was known by a colleague for their "fire chicken" some extremely spicy poultry, but tonight we decide on this meter long skewer full of meat, potatoes, peppers, mushroom, pineapple, and spring rolls. Below the skewer is a skillet with a portable camping gas range. You take the food hanging from above, cut it into pieces and cook them. In the back is a buffet to grab extra things you want like watermelon, noodles, garlic, spicy peppers, and fresh eggs.



I'm nearing my one full month of living in Korea and it's been treating me excellent so far! Tomorrow begins the second week of school. Time to get more learning on!



2 comments:

  1. I miss you old friend. I'm proud of the educator's life that you are building abroad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to eat all that food!

    ReplyDelete